Remember when I was complaining about it being “between seasons” and not being inspired by food? Well the seasons decided to jump ahead for me and I have been on a salad kick as a result!
I’ve also been crazy busy as I get back into the habit of biking to work, doing some wedding planning, and also taking a new course at school. I’ve always wanted to go back to school and have a perfect opportunity, but I’m not sure exactly what I want to do. So in the meantime I’m taking Introduction to Economics since it’s a pre-requisite for many master’s programs. But that means 7 hours of class time a week plus readings, homework, and assignments so I have my hands full!
I had an interesting discussion with a colleague today who was surprised by my economics choice since he pictured me being interested in doing something more creative. Hmmm… Well I’m not tied down to anything yet so I’ll keep my options open. I wonder if there are any Master’s in Food Blogging Appreciation out there?
I have made a few recipes over the past week and a half:
- Mexican Chopped Salad + Green Goddess Dressing + Go-To Black Beans all from “It’s All Good” by Gwenyth Paltrow which was part of our Cinco de Mayo weekend celebrations and really hit the spot.
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette also from the same book (I’m working my way through apparently!). I had issues with this separating really quickly and challenging to pour – I think a smaller quantity would have worked better for me.
- Pad Thai Zucchini Noodle Salad – Look forward to many of these cold dinner options in the months to come – B really liked this, I was more so-so. Must have been a texture thing.
- Brent made these Maple Chipotle Meatballs from Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes on behalf. A really fun easy option for us. We skipped making the rolls and used pre-made meatballs so it was really quick. I had some of the leftovers on a salad for lunch yesterday too.
- And below is some avocado toast – I’ve heard about this for a couple years now but never really believed it could be any good. But it is! I had more for lunch today! This particular version was also from Goop’s cookbook (Mayo, sea salt and red pepper flakes) but you can find hundreds of types online and I’m sure they are all delish (although I think the salt is critical). And the best best parts of this picture are a) Cheddar Jalapeño Bread from Artisan Bakery and b) Those shadows are real – it was taken outside – I love eating outside!
I promise a creativity post later this week… but right now I’ve got to attend to my oven which contains some delicious smelling cookies I’ll tell you about next time!