Before I get to this past week in food I should go back to the beginning…
The year was 1995, I was ten years old and the movie industry loved pigs. You probably remember “Babe” – it was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. I remember Gordy. IMDB describes it as “A talking pig named Gordy becomes involved in a quest to save his family from the slaughterhouse. An impressionable young girl like me realized exactly what that meant the moment a pig in the film turned into a sausage and I have not had the same relationship with food since.
I would divide those past twenty years as follows:
- 8 years of eating meatless meals and being annoyed at having to help my mother try to make healthy alternatives for the only non-meat eater in the family. I can still remember trying (failing!) to make my own TVP meatballs.
- 3 years of eating terribly in University. My doctor was impressed I could still function given how bad my diet was.
- 6 years of eating slightly better and learning about food and cooking for real.
- 3 years of obsessively saving and seeking out amazing vegetarian/vegan recipes on Pinterest and an assortment of blogs.
In those three years I have amassed a spreadsheet with more than 2000 different recipes I have tried or want to try in the future (did I mention obsessive?). I’m sure I’ll get back to this again in the future!
So which of those recipes did I make this past week?
- Catherine from Rabbit Food for my Bunny Teeth’s Fluffy Oats and Two Ingredient Coconut Macaroons which was brilliant. I don’t know if I will be able to eat a bowl of oatmeal without a coconut macaroon again
- Clementine Daily’s Spicy Tamari Tofu. This was the first recipe I’ve made from their site and I was impressed. Also it wasn’t too spicy for me which is sometimes a concern. B was able to up the spice to his level too.
- Andrea from Dishing Up the Dirt shared this Carrot & Broccoli Salad with Miso Ginger Dressing and warned that it could become part of your everyday rotation. I definitely had every drip of the dressing over the past week and need to buy more miso to make it again!
- Last night B made the most delicious Huevos Rancheros. I still need a recipe to cook, but my man likes to take whatever is in the fridge and make and plate something fantastic. It is a pretty sweet combination.